About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I have not, therefore, I am not.
My camera is absent. I have not officially declared it as "lost" or "gone" yet, because I still have some hope that it will turn up. I don't feel guilty about misplacing it, because I don't think that I was handling it irresponsibly. I just supernaturally… perhaps divinely… disappeared without a trace. Oddly enough, this happens to my things all of the time. If this phenomenon is, in fact, controlled by a divine power, than God is probably messing with me in order to show me how UNdivine I am.
Having to live without my camera has shed some light on the fact that I am insanely addicted to material things. I thrive on material things and they create my identity. Without something substantial to define who I am, I am nothing. Without a camera to document my experiences, the experiences aren't even worth having to me. Without something tangible to memorialize a characteristic of myself, I am not sure it even exists. I have been aware of this character flaw for a while, even though I try to deny and ignore it. Refer back to the blog entitled "I can't get no satisfaction". Shortly after I wrote that blog, my art bag (with every art supply I ever owned in it) got stolen out of my car while we were staying in a hotel on our move back to Colorado. I didn't write about that event or tell many people about it, because it was too painful and devastating to me at the time. Without an airbrush, and paint tubes, and paint brushes, and drop clothes, and messy apron, I am not really an artist. I am slowly replacing each one of those items… and slowly buying myself back.
Even my blogging is, in a way, a physical thing that I use to create who I am. Even though, in essence, a blog is only a pattern of glowing pixels, it is tangible in a very visual sense, especially myspace. If I didn't have a myspace profile, I would not know who I was. I would not know "about me" or "who I want want to meet" or my "general interests" or even my zodiac sign.
My dependency on material possessions is why I am so human. I have a body and eyes and nose and hands, and they make me who I am. When you are content to have your identity being defined by your spirit, that is divine. That is what I wish I wanted to strive for… but I don't. I wish I could find my camera.

4 comments:

ceichy said...

I am so sorry that the camera was divinely misplaced. And hopefully it wasn't divinely misplaced into the wrong hands. As for your need for material things, I am right there with you. Aaron could be a drifter, a gypsy (in fact he is part gypsy) and be fine with the clothes on his back, but I, I could only be a drifter if I had my camera and my printer and some fun jewelary and somewhere to garden...etc. I am sad for you and your camera. Hopefully it is just on an adventure and will wonder back to your doorstep.

Holly said...

ditto my friend.

The AB club said...

Hope the camera is found soon, but more importantly that the lesson is cemented in your heart. I like the end result of lessons, but I really hate the process. Some days I can't wait for the relief of heaven. Persevere! love, Becca

Anonymous said...

This is camera # what? Maybe you are under a camera curse. I remember when you were in HS you were under a car key curse. You kept losing them over and over and it took going away to college to break the curse. Do you remember that?