About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Gettin There...


I have been meaning to post a picture of my map painting on here, so that you can see that it actually HAS made some progress since last time you saw it (unless you have been over to my house in the last couple of weeks). Although I added a Sierra Leone, there still isn't every single country in the whole wide world, because some countries are too small to see with the naked eye from... my living room, or the moon, or wherever I am. We talk about this map constantly, which makes me think it is the most important painting I have ever done. The other day I made a puddle of glue on a plate, while the kids and I were doing a craft, and Rocket looked at it and said "hey! That looks like Russia!!". And it did. We also talk constantly about the 10/40 window- a place on earth with more poverty than anywhere else. We often point out the Philipines, and talk about Kurvy, our compassion child who lives there. The map reminds our family how very very small we are. If that is the only lesson I can successfully teach my kids, than I am happy. Now, I just need to start getting some words on the map!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the map and I love how you stated it makes you feel "small."

It is amazing how our kids learn and what inspires them to learn. Very cool.

You are amazing.

Holly said...

ok, that's just too cool...I'm going to get paint a map on my wall....or maybe I'll just buy a really cool one because I don't really paint like that! :-) but I want those conversations with my kids!

Naomi Haverland said...

Holly, I think you should try to do it- even if it were a little simpler. Use a projector. It's very condusive to homeschooling.

Cassie said...

come visit jody.
then i will pay you to paint a map on my living room wall. that is incredible. really amazing. plus, i want your furniture and rug, too! :)

Naomi Haverland said...

Jody never invited me... otherwise I would. Just kidding. I often say "one day when I am single...." and then I catch myself and say "oh, I mean one day when I don't have kids at home..." Anways, the end of the statement always has something to do with traveling.

Holly said...

Naomi, I'm serious, I think I might try this in our next house! (too late for this one, not enough time here for me to try it!)

Cassie said...

well one day when you still have a husband and children, yet much more time on your hands, maybe jody will invite you! :)