About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

500 Years After the Renaissance

Before (Sistine Madonna Detail): After (500 Years After the Renaissance):


This painting has been my baby for he last 6 months (not the top painting- that was Raphael's baby... or atleast part of his baby. But the bottom painting is mine). I just delivered this painting to a man named "The Buddha" so that it can be exhibited in an art show in Denver that opens on July 4th. This is a first for me- being in a real art show (because college shows and coffee shop shows don't count). So I am now officially a "real" artist (but my criterium for that changes constantly, and I can never seem to keep up). Each artist in the show has chosen a classic peice of artwork to rework in a "low brow" style. I can't wait to see all the other creations! I have been staring at this peice of artwork endlessly, especially in the last week, as I nit pick every part of it. So I can't stand to look at it anymore. Giving it away has givin me a sense of relief, because it is literally out of my hands now (and in the hands of Buddha).

Meaning (skip this paragraph if you dont care about the meaning):

The meaning of the piece is pretty simple. As the title implies, this painting takes place 500 years after the renaissance (when the original was created) and that roughly calculates out to be around the current date. Ofcourse, the angels have died and their flesh has deteriorated, symbolizing the end of the renaissance. But an baundance of life and color has bloomed surrounding the carcusses, symbolizing the rebirth that still continues today because of the artistic revolution 500 years ago known as the renaissance, which, in fact, means "rebirth". The painting also should bring to mind the great dichotomy of all time that death is a gateway to life.

Details:

The tattoo on the skulls head says "Sistine Madonna"- the name of the woman the baby angel is gazing at in the original masterpeice.
The mantis is going after this bee, which I don't know if they ever really do that, but I saw on the internet once a clip of a mantis catching a humming bird and piercing it's little heart with it's claw and then eating it. It was pretty awesome.
Spiders are one of my favorite living things, so I included one. I also always put butterflies in my paintings. Seahorses are my favorite too, but there was no way to include one. There is a total of 11 living creatures in the painting (the skelectons are not living).

11 comments:

Stacy said...

Can I just say I really enjoy this! What a great piece of artwork. I just grinned with amusement as I read through it and gazed at the creation. Very impressive. Stacy
(by the way - if you're wondering who I am...I used to be roommates with Michele McGuire and Stephanie Frisch and I was really good friends with Sarah Bennett for a long time)

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a cool, creative, and absolutely wonderful painting. I love all the little creatures tucked here & there within it. I'd love to see it in person & find them all.
Best of luck in the showing!

Anonymous said...

I think you did an amazing job. I am going to try and make it to your show when I come down over the 4th of july.

The AB club said...

Very cool. I wish we could come to the art exhibit. I would feel really cool and quite honored to personally know one of the artists. Can you take pictures of it in the gallery?

Anonymous said...

The painting turned out beautiful. I am glad you showed the details. You are definitely an artist, but I have been thinking that since you were four years old. What is your definition?

Naomi Haverland said...

My definition of a "real" artist? I will tell you, but my answer will probably change tomorrow...
A "real" artist-
-has to do art atleast once a day
-has sold their art (and the costomer has to be someone that doesn't know them personally)
-has been in an art show (and like I said, college shows and coffee shop shows don't count)
-now I think they have to have their own studio (and it doesn't count if it's in their house)
-they have to know other artists
-they have to know all of the ninja turtle's names
-maybe they have to be published in a book
-oh they should have art in a museum too
-they have to teach art classes
-they have to have been to Boulder
-they have to own a whole lot of paint and paint brushes
-they have to have kids (no one truly knows beauty until they see their own kids)

Ok... so I'm not a real artist... but I'm gettin there.

Anonymous said...

Good job - can't wait to see it at the art show

Sarah said...

It is so cool that I can now say I know a real artist! I am with Matt and can't wait to see you piece in the show!

Nichole said...

You're crazy if you don't think you're a "REAL" artist! And to reply to your comment, if you get married I'll come do your pics:)

Cassie said...

that is amazing! wow.

ceichy said...

I love it. It looks great! You will have to tell me how things go!