About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

A lucky week for four in Breckenridge

About 6 months ago Matt entered a raffle at work to support some charity . He ended up winning a week's stay at a condo in Breckenridge for the summer time. This is typical of Matt. He has always been lucky. Sometimes his luckiness benefits me (as in this case). Contrarily, I have always been unlucky. Sometimes my unluckiness unbenefits him (as in two pregnancies). This blog will highlight some aspects of our vacation (excluding the bike ride, which I already blogged about). In this picture, Matt waits patiently for his food at a restaurant. I think he looks so cute, with his shirt matching the ketchup bottle and all. Maybe that's why the waitress kept touching him. I almost had to pull a "Faith Hill" on her. This too is typical of Matt. Waitresses always touch him. It probably has something to do with his luckiness.



In this picture, Roxanne waits patiently outside of a Breckenridge store while Grandma shops. Roxanne would often pick the flowers outside of stores and give them to me to put in my hair (even though we've told her not to). Ok... sometimes I get lucky... but not often.

The kids spent hundreds of hours in the pool. I couldn't be in the water that long, so one day, I painted this picture of Roxanne from the pool deck. She happens to be one of the best swimsuit (and hippo tube) models I have ever seen.
One day we went on a five mile hike (we were pushing our luck). Amazingly, the kids completed the hike with few emotional breakdowns- which means Matt and I were both lucky. I enjoyed the hike because it was like walking through a gigantic tree sculpture gallery. There were endless trees that had been uprooted leaving them in curiously disfigured positions that resembled artwork to me. The roots seemed to twist and convolute up into the sky, each one having individual undulating (one of my favorite words) nuances (another favorite). They seemed to have been stretched and twirled around a sculpting finger (possibly God's I suppose), kindof the same way Rocket holds gum between his front teeth and then stretches it out away from his face with one finger and then begins to wrap it around his finger again and again and again. Except this wood wasn't stretchy at all (and it didn't get smeared all over the van seats or stuck in anyones hair either)- it was as dry as bones. We collected our favorite knotty branches to use as hiking sticks. Then we brought them home, with enough extras for just about every kid in the neighborhood. Yesterday the gang came over and we sanded them and painted them so that next time we go hiking, we will hike in style.
This is a picture of the sticks that the kids painted yesterday. To the right is a picture of chloe in the process of painting her hiking stick.


Breckenride has left our family relaxed and bonded. I suppose we are all a little lucky because we have eachother and we all love eachother a lot. And I am lucky that I ended up with a guy with enough luck to rub off on the rest of us. Roxanne is lucky that she is cute, because otherwise we might disown her. Rocket is lucky that he has Roxanne for us to compare him to. And Matt is lucky that I agree to stay home with the both of them all day- which is exactly why I needed this vacation!



3 comments:

The AB club said...

Matt is pretty lucky, just look at who he got for sisters.

I like the painted sticks.

Nichole said...

Sounds like a lucky vacation we need one of those too!

Anonymous said...

Luck-Blessed? Whats the difference?!

Sounds like y'all had a wonderful time. The walking sticks & forest look cool! Blake would go crazy taking pictures of all the trees/wood & interesting images. He wonder around for months...we'd have to call in a search team. *G*