About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A New Ruby
Roxanne and I have been spending a lot of time together lately, ever since Rocket started school. She really resents having to spend time with me and being separated from Rocket for so long. She says "when Rocket is at school, I get a headache". Lonliness will do that to you. But today, Roxanne knows she was lucky to be home while Rocket was at school, because me and her got to witness something fascinating that only happens once a year (and we all missed it last year). Ruby molted.

When we got home from dropping Rocket off at school, and we went to check on Ruby, we found her lying silently flat on her back, in a meditative state. Had I not done my tarantula research, I may have thought she was dead. But I knew that this meant she was about to shed her skin. Here she is on her back (a position I've never seen her in before). Notice that you can see her fangs:
Then, over the next hour, she slowly emerged from her old skin. This picture may be hard to understand, so I included some labels that might help. It all happened in slow motion. One at a time, she pulled each of her eight legs out of their old skin sockets, kind of like fingers coming out of a glove.

This is her new self. Her face has a shiny irridescent pink glow to it now. This coloring is why this species is reffered to as "Chilean Rose". It really is beautiful. Her "fur" is also much softer and longer than before.
This is her old skin. The penny is there to show size. Notice the eight concentric segments in the center from which she withdrew her legs. It's amazing.
And Roxy gave Ruby a soft kiss to congratulate her on this new stage of life! Note: I didn't tell her or force her to do this. She has just adopted my affectionate attitude towards Ruby. Remember: prejudice ideas are learned.... she hasn't learned them. But other people in this house have.



13 comments:

Stacy said...

Wow. I'm very anti-spider. However, after seeing this, I have an awe & amazement factor that has creeped in about tarantulas! That is one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen. I didn't know they did that. You make them seem so wonderful. Maybe I won't get one, but I'm still amazed.

Cassie said...

wow.
seriously...wow.
i am sitting her in amazement.

ok, couple questions....
#1-I am assuming this is your pet. Correct?
#2-How long have you had her?
#3-Is she a good pet?

i think i want one...just to watch that happen once a year. truly amazing. thank you for sharing. i love love love nature posts!

Naomi Haverland said...

Yes, she is a very good pet. I've had her for about a year. Last time she molted, we were camping so I didn't see it happen. I first started loving spiders after this: http://happilyhaverland.blogspot.com/2006/08/itsy-bitsy-spiders-about-month-ago.html
and this:
http://happilyhaverland.blogspot.com/2006/08/update-on-charlottethis-weekend-we.html
Ruby is so low maintenance. She lives in a cage about 7inX7in that I got at goodwill and I feed her a cricket about once a week (if I can find one). She keeps her own cage clean. She was $16 at PetCo or PetsMart... can't remember which. And kids that come over love for me to take her out so they can see her. It makes me seem like a cool mom.

Holly said...

that is cool
I am creeped out (have lived in a few places where those just roam around)
and that old skin looks like a view finder disc ;-)

Cassie said...

i'm totally getting one.

Anonymous said...

I cringed just reading this blog. I don't care what you say or how Roxy feels about Ruby - I am very prejudiced against spiders and I am not ashamed to say so.

Nichole said...

Hey Cool mom, that is way creepy but totally you:) Not that you're creepy but you know what I mean. LOL How do you find time to blog so much you are my hero, oh and my last post no I didn't pose them, don't you want someone to dance with you like that!

Naomi Haverland said...

Mom, Rocket is determined to get you to realize that Ruby isn't scary. Maybe we will try some exposure therapy when you come up for Roxy's bday.

Nichole, I find time to blog by neglecting more important things like laundry, and taking care of the kids. And that picture, I kindof hate that couple for posing like that without being told to. They should know better than that. But it IS an awesome picture.

Anonymous said...

WOW - that is totally awesome! I'm so glad you & Roxanne got to witness such a rare event.

As far as spiders - I find them facinating, so long as I know where they are. I DON'T like to be surprised by them ...especially crawling on me. There are some really HUGE ones at your Grandmama's in FL...inside the house, as well as outside!
(I use to ride my horse on the trails near her house...the webs would block the trails, so I had to carry a stick to knock them down. My horse had many a web & spider hitch a ride between her ears!)

Naomi Haverland said...

I'm the same way about people. I like them as long as they don't sneak up on me.

WARREN and TRACI Lotter ________________ said...

OK...thats decidedly disgusting and amazing at the same time. For one thing, spiders that large give me the heebie jeebies. But its amazing how she came out of her skin and left it in such great shape. Its almost as if she did that in case she wanted to crawl back in later on. Ugh and Wow at the same time!!

Anonymous said...

INTERESTING BUT TOTALLY DISGUSTING...I could barely look at your pics. Cool that Rox could smooch on him/her...not many girls would do that!

Sorry I just can't stomach spiders and NO ONE had to teach me to scream everytime I saw one! ha!

Anonymous said...

sorry, that's me above, not anon. don't know why it did that.