About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

SO, How Did It Go?

So, the Art Curator, audition-like thing... it went good, I think... maybe... I'm not sure... but I think OK.

I wasn't so nervous until I got there, and realized that not all the art curators were as light hearted and casual as I had expected them to be. They were wearing sweater vest, and glasses low on their noses that they would peer over as they looked at me. They reminded me of my art history professors, and even though it's only been about 10 years since I've been in college, I thought that those sorts of pretentious artsy people had stopped existing... or at least moved to New York by now.

I hadn't mentally prepared myself to put on my serious face. I hadn't practiced any big words. I hadn't worn high heels. And, I had made them all buttons. Yeah... buttons- like the kind you pin on your shirt. Cause I thought that would be cool... and awesome... until I got there.

I might have given a few wrong answers. Like when they asked about the price range of my paintings, I said "well, I guess it depends on the amount of commission that the curator is taking"... which was obviously a very wrong answer to give as I saw the disgust on all their faces. Then they explained that that sort of price changing is not allowed... stupid me... I should have known.

But one of them seemed to like me alright, and may be willing to work with me and all my foolishness. I was supposed to hear from her yesterday, but I did not... and I am hoping that's not a bad sign. I'll be checking my email frequently today... like every 3 minutes.

Oh, and the painting at the top. I squeezed it in... getting up at 6 am the day of the critique to finish it. I always have this mentality about my art that says "the next painting is going to be the good one". So I was determined to get that "next painting" in before it counted. But now I've got a new "next painting" in my head.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Like