About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Spring Break

When I got back from Baltimore, I joined the kids in their two week spring break off of school. I can’t say I look forward to having the kids home with me all day, because the lack of productivity that it causes gives me some anxiety. But, I sure do love to spend time with them finding ways to enrich their minds and finding adventures to go on. This is a list of the things we did on their spring break. They go back to school on Monday (phew).

  • We babysat Teddy (my mom’s dog). Friday enjoyed Teddy more than anyone else did. But the kids enjoyed the $10 each that they got from my mom for taking good care of her dog (and his poo).
  • Roxanne spent her $10 on a guitar to replace the one she destroyed one day when she was angry and smashed it against the wall.
  • We discovered Washington Park, which had the best climbing tree I’ve seen in a long time. Well, Rocket thought it was a good climbing tree… Roxanne thought it was a good guitar playing tree, but I told her to stop playing and singing after a while, because I was embarrassed.
  • We discovered Lollicup, where we ordered three “snow bubbles with boba”. If you live in Denver, you should go there once. It’s a really fun place with lots of Hello Kitty and other brightly colored Chinese looking creatures and fun games to play too. The kids found out that they REALLY like to play Connect Four.
  • We went to target and Rocket spent his $10 to buy Connect Four so that they can play ALL the time now. Out of 100 games played, Rocket has won 100, and Roxanne has won 0.
  • We got to see Corinna officially/legally join the Bennett family, by going to court to witness her adoption process. I was so happy that the kids were lucky enough to witness a family be joined in this way.


  • We went to see Alice in Wonderland.
  • We made a playdough wonderland… inspired by Alice in Wonderland.
  • Rocket and I went to Body Worlds. Ever since I went to Body Worlds in Florida, I knew Rocket would love to see it. Since it finally came to Colorado, I decided to take him. We went on Good Friday. I pondered the wonder it is to experience the intricate workings of life through the death of another person (and through plastination) and how that parallels the meaning behind Good Friday. We have been discussing it ever since, primarily talking about how we hope to never have a brain hemorrhage.
  • We played with cousins, a lot.
  • We dyed eggs for Easter, which is tomorrow. Last year, when I saw on Cassie’s blog that she had dyed Easter eggs using silk ties, I decided I wanted to remember to do it the next year. Oddly, it seems I was reading about it only a few months ago, but I guess that just means this year really flew by. Here are the instructions on how to do it. I decided to use stretchy bandage wrap (the kind they wrap on your arm after they draw blood) and that really helped to keep the silk laying flat against the egg. Otherwise, it comes out with a lot of white spots.
  • And we celebrated Easter by attending a church, spending time with family, and trying to look sharp.

6 comments:

Cassie said...

LOVE the family photo!
and why do your projects always look so much better than mine?? :)
must be a talent thing...i am lacking it.

The AB club said...

I agree with Cassie. My playdough creations never look like that. Sounds like a fun Spring Break. We're on Spring Break this week. Maybe some of your ideas will inspire me.

Adriane Nau said...

Wow- love the silk egg idea... thanks for sharing! Last year my mom and I did something similar with tissue paper, but yours are just so beautiful!

Glad you survived Spring Break!

Donna Mc said...

Beautiful pictures!!

TWO weeks of spring break????? Not fair! We only get one week....but what am I fussing about, I'm working most of the week. BUT we are going fishing - that's about as ambitious as we're going to get this year.

Happy Easter!

Sarah said...

They way your kids focus onto one activity is amazing... it makes me think Elise is ADD. She would never play 100 games of anything or build such a great land from play-dough.

Naomi Haverland said...

Sarah, Elise is definitely not ADD. I've seen her and Roxanne play one continuous game of babydolls for hours before. The 100 games of connect four was an exaggeration, and Roxanne was the only one out of four kids that stuck with the playdough sculpture til the end.