About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Monday, September 06, 2010

Jesus Saves on The Penny Horse at King Soopers



Ta Da!! One painting down... 6 to go. Working towards an art show at Dazzle Jazz Lounge (which is a place people actually seem to know about!!) in November. It is confirmed now!!
I love posting my artwork on this blog- mostly because it means the artwork is done. FINISHED! I like it when it's done. However, I also always feel the need to explain the art's meaning. That part is hard. Part of my artwork is always literal. In this case, that part is pretty straight forward- Roxanne really loves the penny horse at King Soopers. If she's good while I am shopping, she gets to ride on it while I go through the checkout. And when she gets to ride on it, especially if Rocket is around, she acts ridiculously enthusiastic, usually screaming "YEE HAW!!", giggling and squealing very loud. Keep in mind, she is an extremely shy little girl. I sometimes continue checking out and act like I don't know those unruly kids over by the penny horse- their mom should be controlling them better!
The other part is sometimes symbolic. I don't always know how to explain that part of the artwork. It requires much introspection and subconscious examination. That's where the "Jesus Saves" button comes in. The religious themes that I am always compelled to include in my artwork, I think, reflect the fact that I am constantly simmering spiritual thoughts in my head. The silliness reflects my cynicism for religion, and the free spiritedness reflect my love for it. And, incase you haven't already picked up on it, I tend to live vicariously through my depictions of Roxanne. I do this because I often see metaphors of my own experiences her life. It's like a parallel spiritual existence happening in her on a totally different scale- a scale that's more fun to paint- a more visual scale. This maybe doesn't make any sense.
Oh gosh. I will try to make it simpler and more specific now. It seems the religious and anti-religious people see me in the same way- silly and immature. I feel judged by both of them. But both of them are blindly unaware of what connections I may be having with God, that they are missing out on- and it's because of their own arrogance. I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to translate all that from the painting. But I suppose they could observe an eccentric child enjoying life while at the same time unabashedly owning the claim to salvation. Ok, maybe they wouldn't even get that. But maybe they would just understand that the penny horse at King Soopers is a really great deal. I mean, the time of your life for the cost of ONE CENT!!! You can't get a better deal than that!

3 comments:

Cassie said...

1. i love your blog header.
2. i love king soopers.
3. i love the sucker flailing about in the air.
4. i love your words to go with your paintings.
5. i love your art. all of it. love it.

you are amazing naomi.
simply amazing.

Mary Beth said...

I am so glad that you are back to painting. I really like "Jesus Saves on the Penny Horse at King Soopers". Again you are portraying what so many of us are feeling. We need to understand what real joy looks like!!

dewatobay said...

I'm with Cassie!