About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Friday, November 11, 2011

ARC Galla


The big Arc Galla was last night. It was a fancy dinner and auction with really really rich people. We ate dinner and talked with rich people. I'm actually not very good at "mingling" at all. I seem to have developed a lot of social anxiety over the past 2 or 3 years- I don't know why! It's awful. And I discovered about an hour before we were supposed to leave, that at some point over the past couple years, I must have thrown away all of my fancy clothes. Oh well.

This is a video of the moments before they began the mural auction and they talked about how wonderful the mural was. I know it's super cheesy, but it did touch my heart. The story about, Robbie, the man on the far left in the mural, was very true.




OK, so here's the kicker. The mural sold for $25,000. That's right. Twenty five thousand dollars. THEN, the shocking twist. They brought out a life size canvas print of the mural to auction as well. I honestly don't know how they managed to get that huge thing printed within this last week. They had four prints that sold for $2,500 each. That's a grand total of $35,000. I was pretty freakin shocked about that. In terms of money, this is probably the most valuable volunteering I've ever done. And as I was leaving, I walked over to Robbie's table to say goodbye and he was crying because he was so happy about the mural- now that's probably even more valuable than the money.

4 comments:

Mom said...

WoooHoooo that is incredible! You are so special not only with your art talents but the way you use them. I am proud just to know you.

Nikki @ the ambitious procrastinator said...

I bet that guy at your table really appreciated you recording him while he was shoveling food into his face. Did you get his email so you could share this with him?

Naomi Haverland said...

Oh my gosh, Nikki, that made me laugh so much! I didn't get his email information but he was on the board of directors commitee or something like that so maybe I could track him down. I can't believe you actually watched the video. After it hit 4 minutes I was like "no one is really going to watch this"....

Donna Mc said...

What an incredible blessing! I'm so proud of you, your gifts and the gift of time you gave to the ARC folks. That painting isn't worth $35,000..... its 100% PRICELESS! What an incredible blessing, indeed.